Saturday, August 27, 2016

Teachers Pick

I am so excited! I get to use my Teachers Pick app again this year! For the last couple of years, I had been in a lab where I saw almost 800 students each week. There weren't really any small intimate groups where I felt I could utilize this app.

The Teachers Pick app (.99 cents or $1.99 in iTunes) are digital Popsicle sticks that help the teacher remember who's been called on and who hasn't. A neat feature is that the teacher can decide to choose someone that's already been called, or simply to go through the roster until everyone has had a chance. There are benefits to either way.

For my small groups, I lay my iPhone in the center of our gathering spot--table, floor, desks, wherever we are, and ask the question. They eagerly  await to see who the app will pick to answer the question. Another thing I do with small groups, is that, if they DON'T call out the answer unless it's their turn, they receive a paw-buck. (PBiS), reinforcing the positive behavior of not all talking at once.

I feel like I've come home again. The best of both worlds have fallen into my lap this year. The students are precious, allowing me to teach, and I can utilize my apps again to help enhance our classroom management and academics. Try Teacher's Pick. I think you'll like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment